This post is a work in progress! Once we get down the right template we’ll make these for all genres!
Paranormal romance is a popular genre with an active fanbase; they are keen to support indie authors and generally less critical of the writing quality, as long as the story is satisfying.
Advertising, commenting or offering guest posts is one way to market books; as long as you don’t seem spammy. (It isn’t the best way to market books, but it is one way, and it may help with visibility). Here are some options where you may be able to market your paranormal romance.
Blogs and Websites
Magazines and Newsletters
any publication, newsletter, magazine etc.
Communities and Forums
- GoodReads Discussion Thread
- Paranormal Romance Guild Forum
- FanForum Discussion
- List of GoodReads Paranormal Romance Groups
- Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy GoodReads
Events or Conferences
Hashtags and keywords
a list of genre- hashtags and keywords/search terms related to the genre.
Bestselling books in this genre
Top 20 Books (Adult)
By J.R. Ward
- Dark Lover – the first book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, Dark Lover tells the story of Wrath, the leader of the brotherhood. When one of his vampire companions dies, Wrath is tasked to protect his half-breed daughter.
- Lover Eternal – The second book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series focuses on Rhage, perhaps the most aggressive of the brotherhood. His life gets entwined with Mary Luce, who relies on his protection and is not looking for love. But she becomes the catalyst to Rhage’s transformation – from the intense desire to satiate his physical thirsts, he starts to have feelings for Mary Luce.
- Lover Awakened – The third book in the series follows Zsadist, a vampire who has suffered a dark past and knows nothing but anger and how to express this. However, he manages to rescue Bella, a beautiful woman who eventually becomes the one who tries to help Zsadist make peace with his past and overcome this, in order for the both of them to see a future together.
By Sherrilyn Kenyon
- Acheron – The eighth book in the Dark-Hunter series, this book follows the Dark-Hunter leader, Acheron, who is the “sole defender of mankind” and has fought for the survival of the human race. Eventually, though, he encounters a woman on whom his survival is hinged.
By Nalini Singh
- Heart of Obsidian – This is the 12th book in the Psy/Changeling series, and generally received to be one of the best – if not the best – in the series.
- Archangel’s Consort – The 3rd book in the Guild Hunter series follows Elena Deveraux, a vampire, and her archangel lover Raphael, as they begin to investigate a case of violence: a vampire has attacked a girls’ school – and it is only the beginning, as Raphael himself begins to exhibit signs of violence.
- Archangel’s Legion – This is the 6th book in the Guild Hunter series, and Elena Deveraux and her archangel lover Raphael try to find the source of the deaths that keep happening in the city.
By Charlaine Harris
- Dead Until Dark – the first novel in the Southern Vampire Mysteries series follows waitress Sookie Stackhouse, who happens to have telepathic powers.
- Club Dead – this is the third book in the Southern Vampire Mysteries series. Sookie’s boyfriend Bill disappears, and she goes out to save him.
By Kresley Cole
- A Hunger Like No Other – This one is the second book in the Immortals After Dark series. The leader of the Lykae Clan, Lachlain MacReave, finds that the woman he is destined to be with is a half-Valkyrie, half-vampire woman Emmaline Troy, whom Lachlain claims and takes to his castle.
- Shadow’s Claim – This is the first in the Dacians series. The book follows Prince Trehan, an assassin who’s determined to do anything in his power to get the beautiful sorceress Bettina, the only one who has ever managed to ignite true passion within his heart.
By Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Night – This is the first of the Lords of the Underworld series. The book follows heroine Ashlyn Darrow, who travels to Budapest in search of help from men who possess supernatural skills. But she falls into the arms of a dangerous man – Maddox, who shoulders a hefty weight on his own shoulders.
By Christine Feehan
- Dark Prince – This is the first book in Christine Feehan’s Dark series, and introduces the reader to Mikhail Dubrinsky, Prince of the powerful Carpathians, a race that is nearing extinction and is turning the last of the males into vampires. Hope comes in the form of Raven Whitney, a human woman whom Mikhail sees as his lifemate.
By Kim Harrison
- For A Few Demons More – This is the fifth book in the Hollows series, and follows witch and bounty hunter Rachel Morgan to stop a serial killer leaving dead bodies in its wake. Rachel Morgan, the main character, has a relationship with a vampire in the series.
By Jeaniene Frost
- Once Burned – Leila receives the gift of supernatural powers after a terrible accident, and these powers allow her to channel electricity and learn people’s deepest, darkest secrets, with just her touch. A life of being alone seems to be the only life waiting for Leila, until she gets kidnapped. Meanwhile, legendary vampire Vlad Tepesh, a very powerful creature, finally meets his match. When he and Leila meet, however, they are almost completely consumed by a passion that overcomes the both of them.
- Twice Tempted – This is the second book in the night Prince series. Leila, whose psychic abilities are starting to falter, is beginning to doubt the future. She is also troubled by the distance of her lover, Vlad. When Leila somehow manages to get in the sights of a killer, she has to decide who to trust – the passionate vampire, or the tortured man who wants to be more than just a friend in her eyes.
By Gail Carriger
- Soulless – the first book in the Parasol Protectorate series, Soulless follows a (quite literally soulless) woman called Alexia Tarabotti, who has the ability to make supernatural beings human with her touch. When she accidentally kills a vampire, the Queen someone to investigate: Lord Maccon, an Alpha werewolf – who has feelings for Alexia.
Top authors in this genre
- J.R. Ward (website) – author of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series and the Fallen Angels series. She also writes contemporary romance novels under the name ‘Jessica Bird.’
- Nalini Singh (website) – author of the Psy/Changeling series and Guild Hunter series.
- Kresley Cole (website)
- Christine Feehan (website)
- Gena Showalter (website)
- Ilona Andrews (website)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon (website)
- Christina Dodd (website)
- Jeaniene Frost (website)
- Chloe Neill (website)
Prizes and giveaways
A list of things you can offer that readers of this genre would enjoy.